Professional communications of Russian technical and engineering specialists: empirical analysis
- Authors: Abramov RN1
- National Research University - Higher School of Economics
- Issue: Vol 16, No 3 (2016)
- Pages: 586-598
- Section: Surveys, experiments, case studies
- URL: https://journals.rudn.ru/sociology/article/view/14004
Sociology of professions focus on the role of interpersonal and intergroup communications in the professional communities as an element of professional culture. The article considers forms and features of professional communications of Russian engineers and technicians in the context of their professional culture defined as the constellation of ideology, values, beliefs, language, and forms of activity typical for the community, which rarely becomes an object of Russian sociologists’ studies. The author shows that interpersonal professional communications on the various aspects of professional activity is an important element of professional culture. The article is based on the results of online survey of Russian engineers and expert interviews with Russian technical specialists - they were questioned on the ways of updating their professional knowledge and on the role of various channels of communication in this process. At the beginning of the article, the author provides an overview of approaches to the study of professional culture in Russia and abroad, and underlines the significant role of the Internet and the declining role of literature as a source of new knowledge for the engineering and technical staff. The results of the study also revealed an important role of informal and direct communications in the transfer of professional knowledge within the engineering community, while organizational environment has a relatively low impact on the updating of professional knowledge, which can be explained by the lack of management attention to the professional development of specialists.
About the authors
R N AbramovNational Research University - Higher School of Economics
Author for correspondence.
- Abramov R.N. Sociokul'turnye konteksty professionalizma: ideologiya, status, cennosti [Social and cultural contexts of professionalism: ideology, status, values]. Professional'naya kul'tura: opyt sociologicheskoj refleksii. Pod red. E.R. Yarskoj-Smirnovoj. M.: OOO «Variant», 2014.
- Balabanova E.S., Ehfendiev A.G. «Golos» rabotnika v rossijskih biznes-organizaciyah: koncep-tualizaciya i rezul'taty ehmpiricheskogo analiza [The “voice” of the worker in Russian business organizations: Conceptualization and empirical analysis]. Mir Rossii. 2015. No 3.
- Kryshtanovskaya O.V. Inzhenery: stanovlenie i razvitie professional'noj gruppy [Engineers: Formation and Development of Professional Group]. M.: Nauka, 1989.
- Kugel S.A., Nikandrov O.M. Molodye inzhenery [Young Engineers]. M.: Mysl', 1971.
- Rabochij i inzhener: Social'nye faktory ehffektivnosti truda [The Worker and the Engineer: Social Factors of Labour Productivity]. Pod red. O.I. Shkaratana. M.: Mysl', 1985.
- Romanov P., Yarskaya-Smirnova E. Antropologicheskie issledovaniya professij [Anthropolog-ical study of professions]. Antropologiya professij. Saratov: CSPGI, «Nauchnaya kniga», 2005.
- Romanov P., Yarskaya-Smirnova E. Mir professij kak pole antropologicheskih issledovanij [The world of professions as a field of anthropological research]. Ehtnograficheskoe obozre-nie. 2008. No 5.
- Social'no-psihologicheskij portret inzhenera [Social-Psychological Portrait of an Engineer]. Po materialam obsledovaniya inzhenerov leningradskih proektno-konstruktorskih organizacij. Pod red. V.A. Yadova. M.: Mysl', 1977.
- Shekshnya S.V. Ot plohogo k velikomu [From bad to great]. Ekspert. 2006. No 29.
- Schepanskaya T.B. Antropologiya professij [Anthropology of professions] // Zhurnal sociologii i social'noj antropologii. 2003. Vol. VI. No 1.
- Efendiev A.G., Balabanova E.S. Uchastie rabotnikov v upravlenii rossijskih biznes-organizacij [Employees’ participation in the management of Russian business organizations]. Sovremennyj menedzhment: Problemy, gipotezy, issledovaniya. M.: VSHEH, 2010.
- Efendiev A.G., Balabanova E.S. «Chelovecheskoe izmerenie» rossijskogo biznesa: k demo-kraticheski-gumanisticheskomu tipu social'noj organizacii firmy [The “human dimension” of Russian business: To the democratic and humanistic type of social organization of a firm]. So-ciologicheskie issledovaniya. 2012. No 7.