CONTRASTIVE EXERCISES IN MULTILINGUAL EDUCATION
- Authors: Malykh L.M1
- Udmurt State University
- Issue: Vol 14, No 2 (2017)
- Pages: 294-298
- Section: ARSENAL
- URL: https://journals.rudn.ru/polylinguality/article/view/16569
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.22363/2312-8011-2017-14-2-294-298
Many modern languages of the world are forced to give ground in the competition with more prestigious languages. In response to such an unbalanced language situation as this many researchers and methodologists offer a new educational approach to languages - the so called multilingual education. It facilitates language learning by introducing at least three languages simultaneously. The important requirement is that one of languages under study is the mother tongue of the students. One of basic principles of this educational trend is the principle of co-studying various languages on a contrastive basis. The goal of the article is to show the possibility of implementing this principle through the system of contrastive exercises. The possibility of introducing contrastive exercises in the process of multilingual education of different age groups is studied. The introduction of such a system of exercises results in the positive transfer from the previously studied languages, native tongues including, into a new language. A systematic comparison of language units in form and meaning makes it possible to considerably expand the amount of language memory, develop imagination and creativity, facilitate the process of positive transfer, enhance motivation to study less prestigious languages.
About the authors
Ludmila M MalykhUdmurt State University
Author for correspondence.
Prof. at the Institute of Language and Literature, the Director of Educational Center “UdSU-Lingua” at Udmurt State University, Izhevsk, Udmurt Republic, RussiaUniversitetskaya str., 1, Izhevsk, Russia, 426034
- Materialy o mul’tilingval’nom obrazovanii dlya uchastnikov mezhdunarodnoi konferentsii «Mul’tilingval’noe obrazovanie: Uroki mezhdunarodnogo opyta, vozmozhnosti dlya Kryma». 26—28 aprelya [Materials about multilingual education for participants of the international conference “Multilingual education: the lessons of international experience, possibilities for the Krimea”]. Krym: Krymskii politicheskii dialog, 2012. 206 s.
- Malykh L.M., Zhukova A.V. Model’ mul’tilingval’nogo obrazovaniya v polietnicheskom regione na baze obshcheobrazovatel’nogo uchrezhdeniya: kollektivnaya monografiya [Model of multilingual education in a polytechnic region based on the experiment held in a comprehensive school]. Izhevsk: Izdatel’skii tsentr «Udmurtskii universitet», 2016. 208 s.
- Bim I.L. Kontseptsiya obucheniya vtoromu inostrannomu yazyku (nemetskii yazyk posle angliiskogo) [The methodology of teaching second foreign language (German after English)]. M.: Ventana-Graf, 1997. 30 s.
- Malykh L.M., Zhukova A.V. Model’ mul’tilingval’nogo obrazovaniya v polietnicheskom regione na baze obshcheobrazovatel’nogo uchrezhdeniya: kollektivnaya monografiya [Model of multilingual education in a polytechnic region based on the experiment held in a comprehensive school]. Izhevsk: Izdatel’skii tsentr «Udmurtskii universitet», 2016. S. 108—113.