Caravan trade of Central Asian merchants with Russia in the first quarter of the 19th century
- Authors: Abdrakhmanov K.A.1
- Orenburg State Pedagogical University
- Issue: Vol 20, No 3 (2021): Political Communication Models of the Russian State with the Peoples of the Ural-Volga Region, Siberia and Central Asia in the 16th–19th Centuries
- Pages: 399-410
- Section: Political Communication Models of the Russian State with the Peoples of the Ural-Volga Region, Siberia and Central Asia in the 16th–19th Centuries
- URL: https://journals.rudn.ru/russian-history/article/view/27271
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.22363/2312-8674-2021-20-3-399-410
Full text / tables, figures
The article analyzes the everyday business activity of Asian entrepreneurs who participated in caravan trade with the Russian Empire through the cities of Orenburg region in the first quarter of the 19th century. The specifics of foreign trade operations of merchants from Bukhara, Khiva and Kokand during this period were almost completely ignored by Russian historians in the pre-revolutionary, Soviet and modern periods. The source base of this article consists of unpublished archival documents that shed light on the details of the business activities of merchants from Asia. Letters to the regional and Imperial administration made by Asian entrepreneurs, as well as personal letters from foreign merchants are particularly valuable in this regard. Traders had to deal with a long list of tasks. Before the caravan could go along the required route, it was necessary to hire responsible guides, which was not always possible (guides often turned out to be unreliable, which led to additional expenses for the cargo owners), acquire pack animals, take care of security and prepare a considerable amount of money for various road tolls for travelling through the Kazakh steppe. The merchants who were successful in the caravan trade were characterized by moral and psychological stability, the ability to restrain themselves, not succumbing to momentary desires, and even the skills of using cold weapons and firearms. To resolve issues that were exclusively within the competence of representatives of the Russian regional or central administration, Asian merchants had to possess certain communication skills.
About the authors
Konstantin A. AbdrakhmanovOrenburg State Pedagogical University
Author for correspondence.
Kandidat Istoricheskikh Nauk [PhD in history], Senior Lecturer of the Department of Russian History19, Sovetskaya St., Orenburg, 460014, Russia
- Abdrakhmanov, K.A. “Kontakty Orenburzh'ya i kazakhskoi stepi v seredine ‒ vtoroi polovine XIX veka po dannym arkhivnykh istochnikov.” In Desyatye Bol'shakovskie chteniya. Orenburgskii krai kak istoriko-kul'turnyi fenomen. Sbornik statei mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii, 156‒160. Orenburg: Orenburgskii gosudarstvennyi pedagogicheskii universitet Publ., 2020 (in Russian).
- Alikhanov-Avarskii, M. Pokhod v Khivu (kavkazskikh otryadov). 1873. Step' i oasis. St. Petersburg: Parovaia skoropechatnia Ya.I. Libermana Publ., 1899 (in Russian).
- Apollova, N.G. Ekonomicheskie i politicheskie sviazi Kazakhstana s Rossiei v XVIII – nachale XIX v. Moscow: Izd-vo Akad. nauk SSSR Publ., 1960 (in Russian).
- Apollova, N.G. Prisoedinenie Kazakhstana k Rossii v 30-kh godakh XVIII v. Alma-Ata: Izd-vo Akademii nauk Kazakhskoi SSR Publ., 1948 (in Russian).
- Brodel, F. Struktury povsednevnosti: vozmozhnoe i nevozmozhnoe, vol. 1. Moscow: Progress Publ., 1986 (in Russian).
- Gins, G.K. Predprinimatel'. Moscow: Posev Publ., 1992 (in Russian).
- Gizatullin, R.N. “Mnogie bukhartsy priezzhayut syuda pozhit' na raspashku...” (sredneaziatskaya diaspora v dorevolyutsionnom Troitske).” In Gorokhovskie chteniya: materialy pervoi regional'noi muzeinoi konferentsii, 170‒174. Chelyabinsk: Chelyabinskii gosudarstvennyi kraevedcheskii muzei Publ., 2010 (in Russian).
- Khalfin, N.A. Prisoedinenie Srednei Azii k Rossii (60‒90-e godyXIX v.). Moscow: Nauka Publ., 1965 (in Russian).
- Khalfin, N.A. Rossiia I khanstva Srednei Azii (pervaya polovina XIX veka). Moscow: Nauka Publ., 1974 (in Russian).
- Korusenko, S.N. “Trade and entrepreneurial activity of Bukharans of Tara (based on Census of Enumeration of 1897).” Herald of Omsk University. Series ‘Historical Studies,’ no. 4 (2018): 267‒272. https://doi.org/10.25513/2312-1300.2018.4.267-272 (in Russian).
- Krikh, A.A. “Exploration activity of the Siberian Bukharians in the Kirghizsteppe in the 18th century.” Herald of Omsk University. Series ‘Historical Studies,’ no. 2 (2019): 35‒42. https://doi.org/10.25513/2312-1300.2019.2.35-42 (in Russian).
- Levshin, A.I. Opisanie kirgiz-kazach'ikh, ili kirgiz-kaisatskikh, ord i stepei. Almaty: Sanat Publ., 1996 (in Russian).
- Lyudtke, A. Istoriia povsednevnosti v Germanii: Novye podkhody k izucheniyu truda, voiny i vlasti. Moscow: ROSSPEN Publ.; Germanskii istoricheskii institut v Moskve Publ., 2010 (in Russian).
- Mikhailov, M. Orenburgskie pis'ma dlia zhelayushchikh oznakomit'sia s Orenburgom, Orskom, Troitskom, Fortom Aleksandrovskimi dorogoyu cherez Kirgizskuyu step' do Forta № 1. St. Petersburg: N. Tiblenaikom Press., 1866 (in Russian).
- Mikhaleva, G.A. Uzbekistan v XVIII ‒ pervoi polovine XIX veka. Remeslo, torgovlia i poshliny. Tashkent: Fan Publ., 1991 (in Russian).
- Nalivkin, V.P. Kratkaia istoriia Kokandskogo khanstva. Kazan: Tipografiia Imperatorskogo universiteta Publ., 1886 (in Russian).
- Nebol'sin, P.I. Ocherki torgovli Rossii so stranami Srednei Azii, Khivoi, Bukharoi i Kokandom (so storony Orenburgskoi linii). St. Petersburg: [S.n.], 1856 (in Russian).
- Nebol'sin, P.I. Rasskazy proezzhego. St. Petersburg: Tipografiia Shtaba voenno-uchebnykh zavedenii Publ., 1854 (in Russian).
- Nikonov, O.A. “Initiatives of the Russian government on expansion of commercial communications with the Asian khanates in 30‒60 of XVIII century.” Biznes v zakone, no. 2 (2011): 30‒332 (in Russian).
- Niyazmatov, M. Poisk konsensusa. Rossiisko-khivinskie geopoliticheskie otnosheniia v XVI ‒ nachale XX v. St. Petersburg: Peterburgskoe vostokovedenie Publ., 2010 (in Russian).
- Pochekaev, R.Yu. “Evolution of the Legal Status of Bukharans in Russian Legislation of the 18th–19th cc.” RUDN Journal of Law 21, no. 1 (2017): 53‒70. https://doi.org/10.22363/2313-2337-2017-21-1-53-70 (in Russian).
- Razakov, D.Kh. “Vneshnie torgovye sviazi Bukharskogo khanstva (60‒90 gg. XIX v.)”. PhD thesis, Tashkent State University, 1995 (in Russian).
- Rychkov, P.I. Istoriia orenburgskaya (1730‒1750). Orenburg: Tipo-litografiya I.I. Evfimovskogo-Mirovitskogo Publ., 1896 (in Russian).
- Shkunov, V.N. Gosudarstvenno-pravovoe regulirovanie vneshnei torgovli Rossiiskoi imperii v XVIII‒XIX vv. Ulyanovsk: UlGU Publ., 2012 (in Russian).
- Shkunov, V.N. Rossiisko-indiiskie torgovo-ekonomicheskie svyazi v XVIII‒XIX vv. Moscow: RUSAINS Publ., 2018 (in Russian).
- Tulibayeva, Zh.М. “Kokand historian Hakimkhan’s travel notes about Orenburg in the first quarter of the 19th century.” Ural Historical Journal, no. 1 (2018): 74‒81. https://doi.org/10.30759/1728-9718-2018-1(58)-74-81 (in Russian).
- Uralov, N. Na verblyudakh: Vospominaniia iz zhizni v Srednei Azii. St. Petersburg: P.P. Soikin Press., 1897 (in Russian).
- Vamberi, A. Puteshestvie po Srednei Azii v 1863 godu. St. Petersburg: Yu.A. Bokram Press., 1865 (in Russian).
- Yagmin, A. Kirgiz-kaisatskie stepi i ik hzhiteli. St. Petersburg: Karl Krai Press., 1845 (in Russian).
- Yanzhul, I.I. Istoricheskii ocherk russkoi torgovli s Srednei Aziei. Moscow: Universitetskaya tipografiya (Katkovi K°) Press., 1869 (in Russian).