M.K. Ammosov: A Prominent National Leaderof the Early Soviet Period
- Authors: Burnasheva N.I.1, Ignatieva V.B.1
- The Institute for Humanities Research and Indigenous Studies of the North
- Issue: Vol 19, No 1 (2020): THE LIFE OF THE NATIONS OF THE USSR BETWEEN 1920-1950
- Pages: 63-77
- Section: THE LIFE OF THE NATIONS OF THE USSR BETWEEN 1920-1950
- URL: https://journals.rudn.ru/russian-history/article/view/22985
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.22363/2312-8674-2020-19-1-63-77
Full text / tables, figures
The article is devoted to the activities of the prominent Soviet politician and statesman M.K. Ammosov (1897-1938), who devoted his life to revolutionary transformations and the formation of a socialist economy in the Yakut Republic, Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan. The article considers the ideas of M.K. Ammosov concerning the socialist reconstruction of the national regions, and in particular of the households of nomadic and semi-nomadic peoples. Practical work to boost regional economies occupied a central place in M.K. Ammosov’s activities and was based on a comprehensive scientifi c study of productive forces and human resources. His goal was the organic integration of the economy of the perphery into the Soviet national economic system. Thanks to the eff orts of M.K. Ammosov, the economic development of the national republics accelerated, in accordance with the centuries-old aspirations of the peoples to overcome poverty and misery. M.K. Ammosov is analyzed here for the fi rst time from the point of view of his contribution to the economy of the USSR’s national periphery, and to its gradual inclusion into the processes of socialist construction. The development of the economy of the national regions in the early Soviet period largely depended on the organizational qualities and human principles of regional leaders and their selfl ess and honest service to the interests of the Soviet state. Accordingly, considerable attention is paid to M.K. Ammosov’s work among the people. When making decisions on governmental level he proceeded according to the interests and needs of society. Precisely such leadership qualities as someone who knows how to organically combine state and public interests elevated M.K. Ammosov to the highest political Olymp; at the same time these qualities exposed him to political repression. The article concludes that M.K. Ammosov’s thoughts and deeds to benefi t the working people went far beyond the framework of central planning and entered into an insurmountable confl ict with the then accepted practices of administrative management.
Full text / tables, figures
Figure. A memo to I. V. Stalin from M. K. Ammosov. Dated February 14, 1936
About the authors
Natalia I. BurnashevaThe Institute for Humanities Research and Indigenous Studies of the North
Author for correspondence.
Doktor Istoricheskikh Nauk [Dr. habil. hist.], Leading Researcher of the Department of History and Arctic Researches1, Petrovsky St., Yakutsk, 677007, Russia
Vanda B. IgnatievaThe Institute for Humanities Research and Indigenous Studies of the North
Kandidat Istoricheskikh Nauk [Ph.D. in History], Leading Researcher of the Center for Sociological Researches1, Petrovsky St., Yakutsk, 677007, Russia
- Ammosov, M.K. Neizvestnyye stranitsy zhizni i deyatel’nosti. Yakutsk: Media-kholding Yakutiya Publ., 2007 (in Russian).
- Ammosov, M.K. S pomoshch’yu russkikh rabochikh i krest’yan. Stat’i, rechi, vospominaniya, pis’ma. Yakutsk: Knizhnoye izdatel’stvo Publ., 1987 (in Russian).
- Ammosov, M.K. Stroitel’stvo YAASSR. (Otchet pravitel’stva YAASSR pyatomu Vseyakutskomu s”yezdu Sovetov). Yakutsk: Kooperativ «Leninets» Publ., 1927 (in Russian).
- Ammosova, L.M. Maksim Ammosov: publikatsii, vospominaniya, dokumenty, fotografi i. Yakutsk: Bichik Publ., 2012 (in Russian).
- Burnasheva, N.I. “Assessment of prospects for economic growth of Yakutia in materials for the general plan of development and reconstruction of national economy of the ussr for the period of 1926/27–1940/41.” Historical, philosophical, political and legal sciences, cultural studies and art history. Questions of theory and practice, no. 7 (2015): 27–29 (in Russian).
- Demidov, L.A. “Ekonomicheskaya politika Dal’nevostochnoy respubliki: istoki, evolyutsiya, fi nal.” In Dal’niy Vostok Rossii v period revolyutsiy 1917 g. i grazhdanskoy voyny: sbornik statey, 216–247. Vladivostok: DVO RAN Publ., 1998 (in Russian).
- Grozin, A.V. Golod 1932–1933 godov i politika pamyati v respublike Kazakhstan. Moscow: Institute of Oriental Studies RAS Publ., 2014 (in Russian).
- Kotyukova, T.V. “S Rossiyey ili bez neye: k 100-letiyu Turkestanskoy avtonomii.” In Mavrodinskiye chteniya – 2018: materialy Vserossiyskoy nauchnoy konferentsii, 455–458. St. Peterburg: SPbGU Publ., 2018 (in Russian).
- Khamidullin, A.G. Legendarnyy Maksim. Stranitsy zhizni M.K. Ammosova. Alma-Ata: Kazakhstan Publ., 1988 (in Russian).
- Lysenko, Yu.A., and Lysenko, M.F. “To the Question of State Apparatus Indigenization Policy of Turkistan and Kurgyzstan (Kazakhstan) Autonomous Soviet Socialistic Republics RSFSR (1919–1924): Aims, Stages, Results.” Izvestiya of Altai State University, no. 2–3 (2015): 131–138 (in Russian).
- Mineyeva, Ye.K., Kirosov, N.V., and Mineyev, A.I. “Leading cadres in the system of managing the national autonomies of the RSFSR in the 1920s: composition and social mobility.” Klio, no. 4 (2016): 77–82 (in Russian).
- Nazarov, A.D. “Otets-osnovatel’: znamenityy i neizvestnyy (shtrikhi k politicheskomu portretu plamennogo revolyutsionera-internatsionalista M.K. Ammosova).” In M. Ammosov: publikatsii, vospominaniya, dokumenty, fotografi i, 409–422. Yakutsk: Bichik Publ., 2012 (in Russian).
- Orlov, I.B. “NEP v regional’nom rakurse: ot usrednennykh otsenok k mnogoobraziyu.” In NEP: ekonomicheskiye, politicheskiye i sotsiokul’turnyye aspekty, 33–54. Moscow: ROSSPEN Publ., 2006 (in Russian).
- Sleptsov. P.A. Maksim Ammosov – politicheskiy i gosudarstvennyy deyatel’ tyurkskikh narodov SSSR. Yakutsk: Bichik Publ., 2001 (in Russian).
- Sheksheyev, A.P. “The national political elite of Khakassia: entry into power, the struggle for sovereignty and fate (1920–1930s).” Eurasia World, no. 1 (2011): 48–57 (in Russian).
- Vinokurova. L.Ye. “Maksim Kirovich Ammosov: Yakutiya, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan.” In M.K. Ammosov: obustroystvo novoy Yakutii, 140–155. Yakutsk: IGI AN RS(YA) Publ., 2007 (in Russian).
- Zhirkov, A.N., and Sleptsov, P.A. “Zhizn’, otdannaya narodu.” In Maksim Ammosov: publikatsii, vospominaniya, dokumenty, fotografi i, 3–12. Yakutsk: Bichik Publ., 2012 (in Russian).