Extremely High Environmental Turbulence as a Challenge to 21st Century System Management
- Authors: Ignatskaya M.A.1, Malykhin D.R.1
- Peoples’ Friendship University of Russia (RUDN University)
- Issue: Vol 8, No 2 (2021)
- Pages: 115-127
- Section: PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION IN PANDEMIC
- URL: https://journals.rudn.ru/public-administration/article/view/26434
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.22363/2312-8313-2021-8-2-115-127
The article actualizes the challenges of developing the theoretical and methodological basis for managing environmental turbulence in the 21st century under the unprecedented changes that have taken place both in the interpretation of the category of turbulence itself and the ability to manage it between the end of 2019 and the present in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic. The results of the analysis of the category of turbulence of the new type are presented, as well as its nature and content are determined. Conceptual approaches to the criteria for the effectiveness of turbulence management have been developed. The vector of the direction of the evolution of national systems of government in the era of total turbulence at the level of public policy has been defined. The experience of the best management practices at the beginning of 2021 is noted, which, however, shows that without the use of an arsenal of “hard” technologies it is not yet possible to curb the challenges of extremely high environmental turbulence. Based on the study, the authors made the conclusion about the key role of general civil consent and cooperation in the implementation of “manual management” regime under the conditions of extremely high environmental turbulence of the early twenties of the 21st century. The peculiarities of forming the international socio-economic context of the period of extremely high turbulence, its problems and contradictions are highlighted. The main features of this context of the newest period include the ongoing systemic crisis of the world economy, permanent structural financial and economic crises, as well as the characteristics of globalization and deglobalization processes as major long-term trends. The trend towards general deglobalization, expressed in the strengthening of national protectionism and manifested in the economic policy of nation-states, has become the most pronounced at the current stage. New international platforms have been sought to implement regulatory management actions in the face of new type of turbulence.
About the authors
Marina A. IgnatskayaPeoples’ Friendship University of Russia (RUDN University)
Author for correspondence.
ORCID iD: 0000-0001-7573-1404
Doctor of Economic Sciences, Associate Professor of the Department of State and Municipal Management6, Miklukho-Maklaya str., Moscow, Russian Federation, 117198
Daniyil R. MalykhinPeoples’ Friendship University of Russia (RUDN University)
ORCID iD: 0000-0000-0000-0001
Student of the Department of Political Analysis and Management6, Miklukho-Maklaya str., Moscow, Russian Federation, 117198
- Ansoff H.I. Corporate Strategy. N.Y.: McGrow-Hill; 1965.
- Ansoff H.I. Concept of Strategic Management. Journal of Business Policy. 972. 2 (4).
- Ansoff H.I. Strategicheskoe upravlenie [Strategic Management]. Moscow: Ehkonomika; 1989 (In Russ.).
- Daft R.L. Organization Theory and Design. New York: West Publishing Company; 1994.
- Daft R.L. Menedzhment. 6-e izd. [Management. 6th edition]. SPb.: Piter; 2006 (In Russ.).
- Daft R.L. Teoriya organizacii [The Theory if Organization]. Moscow: Yuniti-Dana; 2016 (In Russ.).
- Upravlenie socialnymi innovaciyami: opyt, problemy, perspektivy: sbornik statej VIII Mezhdunarodnoj nauchno-prakticheskoj konferencii [The Management of Social Innovations: Experience, Problems, Prospects: conference proceedings]. Moscow, 19–20.11.2020. Moscow: RUDN University; 2020.178 p. (In Russ.).
- Mirovoj ehkonomike grozit krizis stoletiya – MVF [Global Economy Faces Crisis of the Century, IMF Warns]. BBC News. Russian News Service. 13.05.2020. URL: https://news.mail.ru/economics/41754352/. Accessed: 03.10.2020 (In Russ.).
- VOZ predupredila ob ugroze tretej volny SOVID-19 v Evrope [WHO Warns of the Threat of a Third Wave of COVID-19 in Europe]. RIA News. 22.11.2020. URL: https://news.mail.ru/society/44255345/?frommail=1. Accessed: 25.11.20220 (In Russ.).
- Dinkevich A.I. Mirovoj finansovo-ehkonomicheskij krizis (opyt strukturno-funkcionalnogo analiza) [World Financial and Economic Crisis (Experience of Structural and Functional Analysis)]. Dengi i kredit. 2010; 10: 23–30 (In Russ.).
- Sovremennaya ehkonomicheskaya teoriya i reformirovanie ehkonomiki Rossii [Modern Economic Theory and Reformation of the Russian Economy] Moscow: ZAO “Izdatelstvo “Ehkonomikа”; 2010: 39–45 (In Russ.).
- Ehksperty ozhidayut usileniya deglobalizacii na fone pandemii [Experts Expect Increased Deglobalization against the Background of the Pandemic]. Gazeta.ru. 03.07.2020. URL: https://news.mail.ru/economics/42425408/?frommail=1. Accessed: 04.10.2020 (In Russ.).
- Koronavirus menyaet mirovuyu ehkonomiku [Coronavirus Changes the World Economy]. Lenta.ru. 08.05.2020. URL: https://news.mail.ru/economics/41694640/?frommail=1. Accessed: 14.10.2020 (In Russ.).
- Kitaj vydvinul predlozheniya po mirovomu ustrojstvu posle pandemii [China Has Put Forward Proposals for the World Order after the Pandemic]. RIA News. 22.11.2020. URL: https://news.mail.ru/politics/44256922/?frommail=1. Accessed: 25.11.2020 (In Russ.).