“Ether” and “broadcasting”: Etymology, essence, characterization of concepts
- Authors: Karpiy S.V.1, Ashour H.Y.2
- Donetsk National University
- Peoples’ Friendship University of Russia (RUDN University)
- Issue: Vol 25, No 1 (2020)
- Pages: 163-167
- Section: JOURNALISM
- URL: https://journals.rudn.ru/literary-criticism/article/view/23618
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.22363/2312-9220-2020-25-1-163-167
The article discusses two basic concepts of modern television broadcasting (in Russian and Arabic), their etymology and evolution in the development of television journalism in the system of mass communication. An attempt was made to determine which well-known television tools are primary, how and why the concepts of “ether” and “broadcasting” are identified, what are their similarities, why is there a substitution of their essence and, as a result, an erroneous interpretation. Examples of the interpretation of both concepts by well-known researchers of journalism are given, with the help of which an attempt was made to concretize the functions, forms and contents of one or another phenomenon.
About the authors
Sergey V. KarpiyDonetsk National University
Author for correspondence.
senior teacher of the Journalism Department of Philological Faculty; Editor-in-Chief of The First Republican Channel of DPR24 Universitetskaya St, Donetsk, 283001, Ukraine
Haya Yousef Jamil AshourPeoples’ Friendship University of Russia (RUDN University)
PhD student, Department of Mass Communications of Faculty of Philology10 Miklukho-Maklaya St, bldg. 2, Moscow, 117198, Russian Federation
- Losev, A.F. (1977). Antichnaya filosofiya istorii [Ancient philosophy of history]. Moscow: Nauka Publ.
- Dolgova, YU.I., & Peripechina, G.V. (Eds.) (2019). Televizionnaya zhurnalistika [Television journalism]: textbook for university students. Moscow: Aspekt Press.
- Etymology of Arabic words of Greek origin. Retrieved from http://arabic-greeketymology.blogspot.com/2012/09/blog-post_271.html (accessed: 28.06.2019).
- Egorov, V. (1997). Terminologicheskij slovar' televideniya: Osnovnye ponyatiya i kommentarii [Terminological Dictionary of Television: Basic Concepts and Comments]. Moscow. Retrieved from http://evartist.narod.ru/text2/09.htm (accessed: 28.06.2019).
- Knyazev, A.A. (2002). Enciklopedicheskij slovar' SMI [Encyclopedic Dictionary of Media]. Bishkek: KRSU Publ. Retrieved from http://www.evartist.narod.ru/text16/069.htm (accessed: 28.06.2019).
- Tolkovyj slovar' Ozhegova [Explanatory Dictionary Ozhegova]. Retrieved from https:// slovarozhegova.ru/ view_search.php (accessed: 28.06.2019).
- Berezin, V.M., Volkova, I.I., & Grabel'nikov, A.A. (2008). Ekrannaya kommunikaciya v sovremennom obshchestve [Screen communication in modern society]. Moscow: RUDN University.
- Mihalkovich, V.I. (1999). O sushchnosti televideniya [About the essence of television]. Moscow: VIPK Publ.
- Svobodin, A.P. (1976). Otkroveniya televideniya [Revelations of television]. Moscow. Retrieved from https://public.wikireading.ru/97339 (accessed: 28.06.2019).
- Urazova, S.L. (Ed.). (2019). Ekrannye kommunikacii kak faktor socializacii mediaprostranstva [Screen communications as a factor in the socialization of the media space]: Interuniversity collective monograph. Moscow: Akademiya mediaindustrii Publ.
- Fortunatov, A.N. (2018). Ego-media. Social'no-filosofskie shtrihi k istorii televidentiya [The ego media. Socio-philosophical touches on the history of television presidency]. Moscow: Flinta Publ.