Labour mobilisation in the Chechen-Ingush ASSR during the Great Patriotic War
- Authors: Osmaev M.K1
- Chechen State University
- Issue: Vol 17, No 4 (2018): HISTORY OF THE PEOPLES OF SOUTHERN RUSSIA
- Pages: 812-833
- Section: HISTORY OF THE PEOPLES OF SOUTHERN RUSSIA
- URL: https://journals.rudn.ru/russian-history/article/view/19831
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.22363/2312-8674-2018-17-4-812-833
Full text / tables, figures
The labour mobilisation in Checheno-Ingushetia during the Great Patriotic War is connected to the evacuation of the industrial enterprises from the republic and their subsequent restoration, as well as to the establishment of a complex system of defensive lines. The article elaborates the essential characteristics of the mobilisation measures, their general patterns as well as their specific local features. The study is based on archival documents of the Russian State Archive of Social and Political History (RGASPI) concerning the history of the Chechen-Ingush Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic during the Great Patriotic War, mostly obtained from the electronic database of the Archives Department of the Government of the Chechen Republic (AHRC); equally used were materials from the periodical press of Checheno-Ingushetia from the period under consideration. Labour mobilisation was important for making the most effective use of the available human resources to carry out the work that the state prioritized. The dismantling of industrial enterprises for evacuation to places removed from the front line was carried out twice - in the autumn of 1941 and in the summer and autumn of 1942. Each evacuation campaign was accompanied by new mobilisation measures to provide workforce for the reassembling of the industrial plants. The need to concentrate skilled labour in the dismantling and restoration of the oil industry caused serious difficulties in other, related industries. The most massive labour mobilisations were carried out to provide for the construction of defensive lines; in the autumn and winter of 1942, the majority of the able-bodied population of the republic was involved in this program. At the same time, labourers from Checheno-Ingushetia also worked outside the republic. The war-related labour mobilisation affected all social categories of the population, regardless of their nationality; the indigenous population, however, provided the largest part of the unskilled labour. There is no evidence of any mass movement of evading labour mobilization in the Chechen-Ingush ASSR. In 1944, the mobilisation measures were reduced significantly, which must be attributed to the deportation of the Chechens and Ingushs; the loss of about 500.000 deported people made it necessary to bring labour force from outside to the newly formed Grozny region.
About the authors
Movla K OsmaevChechen State University
Author for correspondence.
-32 Sheripov St, Grozny, Chechen Republic, 364093, Russia
- let Checheno-Ingushskoy ASSR. Statisticheskiy sbornik [60 years of the Chechen-Ingush ASSR. Statistical compendium]. Grozny: Chechen-Ingush Book Publ. house, 1982 (in Russian).
- Abdurakhmanov, D.B., and Akhmadov, Y.Z. Bitva za Chechnyu. “Voyna istoriografi y”, ili informacionnaya voyna [Fight for Chechnya. “War of historiographies” or information war]. Grozny: Groznenskiy rabochi Publ., 2015 (in Russian).
- Abzatov, M.A. Checheno-Ingushskaja ASSR v Velikoy Otechestvennoy voine Sovetskogo Soyuza [Chechen-Ingush ASSR during the great Patriotic war of the Soviet Union]. Grozny: Chechen-Ingush Book Publ. house, 1973 (in Russian).
- Akhmadov, Y.Z. and Khasmagomadov, E. H. Istoriya Chechni v XIX–XX vekah [History of Chechnya, in the 19th – 20th centuries]. Moscow: Pul’s Publ., 2005 (in Russian).
- Bezugolny, A.Yu., Bugay, N.F., and Krinko, E.F. Gorcy Severnogo Kavkaza v Velikoy Otechestvennoy voyne 1941–1945: Problemy istorii, istoriografi i i istochnikovedeniya [Mountaineers of the North Caucasus in the great Patriotic war of 1941−1945: problems of history, historiography and source studies]. Moscow: Tsentrpoligraf Publ., 2012 (in Russian).
- Bugaev, A.M. Groznenskiy gorodskoy komitet oborony. Dokumenty i materialy [The Grozny municipal Committee of defense. Documents and materials]. Grozny: Groznenskiy rabochiy Publ., 2015 (in Russian).
- Bugay, N.F. Repressirovannye narody Rossii: chechency i ingushi. Dokumenty, fakty, kommentarii [Repressed peoples of Russia: Chechens and Ingush. Documents, facts, comments]. Moscow: Kal’ Publ., 1994 (in Russian).
- Chokayev, K.Z. “O voynah, o voennom vremeni.” [About wars, about wartime] In Narody Chechenskoy Respubliki v Velikoy Otechestvennoy voyne 1941–1945 godov: Materialy Vserossiyskoy nauchno-prakticheskoy konferencii, posvyashhennoy 65-letiyu Pobedy i Velikoy Otechestvennoy voyne 1941–1945 gg. v g. Groznyy, 18–19 maya 2010 g. Grozny: Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic Publ., 2010 (in Russian).
- Ediev, D.M. Demografi cheskie poteri deportirovannyh narodov SSSR [Demographic losses of the deported peoples of the USSR]. Stavropol: AGRUS Publ., 2003 (in Russian).
- Fedorov, V. “Neftyanniki – frontu”. [Oil workers – for front] Groznenskiy rabochiy: 1 January, 1944 (in Russian).
- Filkin, V.I. Checheno-Ingushskaya partiynaya organizaciya v gody Velikoy Otechestvennoy voiny Sovetskogo Soyuza [The Chechen-Ingush party organization during the Great Patriotic war of the Soviet Union]. Grozny: Chechen-Ingush Book Publ. house, 1960 (in Russian).
- Filkin, V.I. Istoriya industrializacii Severnogo Kavkaza (1933–1941 gg.): Dokumenty i materially [History of industrialization of the North Caucasus (1933−1941): Documents and materials]. Grozny: [S.n.], 1973 (in Russian).
- Gakaev, H.A. “Chechency v bojah protiv nemecko-fashistskih zahvatchikov.” [Chechens in battles against Nazi invaders] In Chechency: istoriya i sovremennost’ [Chechens: history and modernity]. Moscow: Mir domu tvoemu, 1996 (in Russian).
- Gakaev, H.A. V gody surovyh ispytaniy [In the years of severe hardships]. Grozny: ChechenIngush Book Publ. house, 1988 (in Russian).
- Goncharov, G.A. “Trudovaja mobilizacija sovetskih grazhdan v gody Velikoj Otechestvennoj vojny (1941–1945 gg.).” [Labor mobilization of Soviet citizens during the great Patriotic war (1941–1945)] Bulletin of Omsk state University, no. 6 (2006): 183–186 (in Russian).
- Ibragimiv, Musa M., and Hatuev, I.Z. Chechenskaya Respublika v period Velikoy Otechestvennoy voyny [Chechen Republic in the period of the great Patriotic war]. Nalchik: El’-FA Publ., 2007 (in Russian).
- Ibragimiv, Musa M. ‘‘Istoriya Chechni XX i nachala XXI vekov.’’ [History of Chechnya in 20th and early 21st centuries] Vol. 2 of Istoriya Chechni s drevneyshih vremen do nashih dney [History of Chechnya from ancient times to the present day]. Grozny: Knizhnoe izdatel’stvo Publ., 2008 (in Russian).
- Ibragimiv, Musa M., and Hatuev, I.Z. Podvig vo imya Rodiny (Vklad chechenskogo naroda v pobedu nad fashizmom v gody Velikoy Otechestvennoy voyny 1941–1945 gg.) [Feat for the Motherland. (Contribution of the Chechen people to the victory over fascism during the great Patriotic war of 1941–1945)]. Grozny: Groznenskiy rabochiy Publ., 2015 (in Russian).
- Ibragimiv, Musa M., and Ibragimov, Movsur. Chechnya: cherez krugi ada. Voyny, pereseleniya, deportacii chechenskogo naroda [Chechnya: through the circles of hell. War, resettlement, deportation of the Chechen people]. Grozny: Chechen State University Publ., 2017 (in Russian).
- Ibrahimbayli, H.M. Bitva za Kavkaz. Krah operacii “Yedel’veys” [Battle for the Caucasus. The collapse of the operation “Edelweiss”]. Moscow: Veche Publ., 2012 (in Russian).
- Khatuev, I.Z., and Demelhanov, S. M. “Trudovoy podvig narodov Chechenskoy Respubliki v gody Velikoy Otechestvennoy voyny.” [Labor feat of the peoples of the Chechen Republic during the Great Patriotic war] In Narody Chechenskoy Respubliki v Velikoy Otechestvennoy voyne 1941–1945 godov: Materialy Vserossiyskoy nauchno-prakticheskoy konferencii, posvyashhennoy 65-letiyu Pobedy i Velikoy Otechestvennoy voyne 1941–1945 gg. v g. Groznyy, 18–19 maya 2010 g. Grozny: Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic Publ., 2010 (in Russian).
- KPSS v rezolyuciyah i resheniyah s”ezdov, konferencij i plenumov CK [CPSU in resolutions and decisions of congresses, conferences and plenums of the Central Committee], 283–284. Vol. 7. Moscow: Politizdat Publ., 1985, in Russian).
- Larina, Z. “Timurovtsy.” [Young volunteers] Groznenskiy rabochiy, August 8, 1941 (in Russian).
- Muzayev, M.N. “Igra ‘vtemnuyu’ s pravovymi ocenkami i istoriografi ey.” [The game in “blind” with the legal evaluations and historiography of the merged newspaper] Ob’’edinennaya gazeta: March 3, 2004 (in Russian).
- Muzayev, M.N., and Concieve, M.H. “Rol’ goroda Groznogo v Velikoy Otechestvennoy voine 1941–1945 godov.” [The Role of the city of Grozny in the Great Patriotic war of 1941–1945] Arhivnyy vestnik, no 2 (2015): 13–13 (in Russian).
- “O Groznom kak Gorode voinskoy slavy. Obrashhenie i materialy.” [About Grozny as a city of military glory. Appeal and materials] Arhivnyy vestnik, no 2 (2015): 136–138 (in Russian).
- Osnovnye sobytiya voiny [The main events of the war]. Vol. 1 of Velikaya Otechestvennaya voyna 1941–1945 godov [Great Patriotic war of 1941–1945], 12 vols. Moscow: Voenizdat Publ., 2011 (in Russian).
- Petrovskiy, I. Pochemu Gitler proigral vojnu? Nemeckiy vzglyad [Why did Hitler lose the war? German view]. Moscow: EKSMO Publ., 2009 (in Russian).
- Pyhalov, I. Za chto Stalin vyselyal narody? Stalinskie deportacii – prestupny proizvol ili spravedlivoe vozmezdie? [For what Stalin evicted people? Stalin’s deportations – criminal outrage or retribution?]. Moscow: Yauza-press Publ., 2008 (in Russian).
- Selyunin, V.A., and Selyunina, N.V. “Protivorechiya razvitiya neftyanoy promyshlennosti Checheno-Ingushetii (1941–1942 gg.).” [The contradictions of the development of the oil industry of the Chechen-Ingush Republic (1941–1942)] In Narody Chechenskoy Respubliki v Velikoy Otechestvennoy voyne 1941–1945 godov: Materialy Vserossiyskoy nauchno-prakticheskoy konferencii, posvyashhennoy 65-letiyu Pobedy i Velikoy Otechestvennoy voyne 1941–1945 gg. v g. Groznyy, 18-19 maiya 2010 g. Grozny: Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic Publ., 2010 (in Russian).
- Simarzin, V.S. Geroicheskiy Groznyy [Heroic Grozny]. Grozny: Chechen-Ingush Book Publ. house, 1968 (in Russian).
- Sulumov, Z.H. The Formation and development of the oil industry of Chechnya (90-ies of the XIX century – the beginning of 90-ies of the 20th centuries). PhD diss., Astrakhan state university, 2017 (in Russian).
- “Ukaz Prezidiuma Verkhovnogo Soveta SSSR ‘O voennom polozhenii’.” [The decree of Presidium of the Supreme Council of the USSR ‘About martial law’] Groznenskiy rabochiy, June 23, 1941 (in Russian).
- “Ukaz Prezidiuma Verkhovnogo Soveta SSSR ‘O poryadke raboty rabochikh i sluzhashchikh v voennoe vremya’.” [The decree of Presidium of the Supreme Council of the USSR “About the mode of working hours of workers and employees in wartime”] Groznenskiy rabochiy, June 27, 1941, 1 (in Russian).
- Vtoraya mirovaya voyna. Den’ za dnem [Second world war. Day after day]. Moscow: Siberian Barber Publ., 2005. (in Russian).
- Zaurbekova, G.V. “Osnovnye tendencii izmeneniya social’no-klassovogo sostava naseleniya CHecheno-Ingushskoj ASSR za gody sovetskoj vlasti.” [The main tendencies of change of social-class structure of the population of Chechen-Ingush ASSR for years of the Soviet power] In Ehtnosocial’nye i kul’turno-bytovye processy v ChechenoIngushetii [Ethnosocial and cultural and community processes in ChechenIngushetia]. Grozny: [S.n.], 1986 (in Russian).
- Zoev, S.O. Promyshlennost’ Checheno-Ingushskoy ASSR za 50 let [Industry of the ChechenIngush ASSR in 50 years]. Grozny: Chechen-Ingush Book Publ. house, 1972 (in Russian).