Trihedral lattice supports geometry optimization according to the stability criterion
- Authors: Akhtyamova L.S.1, Yazyev B.M.1,2, Chepurnenko A.S.1,2, Sabitov L.S.2,3
- Don State Technical University
- Kazan Federal University
- Kazan State Power Engineering University
- Issue: Vol 18, No 4 (2022)
- Pages: 317-328
- Section: Analysis and design of building structures
- URL: https://journals.rudn.ru/structural-mechanics/article/view/32742
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.22363/1815-5235-2022-18-4-317-328
The study proposes a technique for optimizing trihedral lattice tower structures from the condition of maximum critical load. Towers with a cross section of elements in the form of round pipes are considered. The load is represented by a horizontal concentrated force at the upper end of the tower, simulating the operation of a wind turbine. A constraint on the constancy of the mass of the structure is introduced. The variable parameters are the width of the tower, which varies in height, the height of the panels, the external diameters of the cross-section of the chords and lattice. The solution of the nonlinear optimization problem is performed in the MATLAB environment using the Optimization Toolbox and Global Optimization Toolbox packages. A tower of constant width is taken as the initial approximation. The calculation of the critical load is performed by the finite element method in a linear formulation by solving the eigenvalue problem. To solve the nonlinear optimization problem, the interior point method, the pattern search method and the genetic algorithm are used. The efficiency of the listed methods is compared. It has been found that the interior point method is the most efficient. The critical load for the optimal tower compared to the tower of constant width with the same mass increased by 2.3 times.
About the authors
Leysan Sh. AkhtyamovaDon State Technical University
ORCID iD: 0000-0003-0480-9811
postgraduate student, Department of Strength of Materials1 Ploshchad' Gagarina, Rostov-on-Don, 344000, Russian Federation
Batyr M. YazyevDon State Technical University; Kazan Federal University
ORCID iD: 0000-0002-5205-1446
Doctor of Technical Sciences, Professor of the Department of Strength of Materials, Don State Technical University; chief researcher, Institute of Design and Spatial Arts, Kazan Federal University1 Ploshchad' Gagarina, Rostov-on-Don, 344000, Russia Federation; 18 Kremlevskaya St, Kazan, 420008, Russian Federation
Anton S. ChepurnenkoDon State Technical University; Kazan Federal University
Author for correspondence.
ORCID iD: 0000-0002-9133-8546
Doctor of Technical Sciences, Professor of the Department of Strength of Materials, Don State Technical University; chief researcher, Institute of Design and Spatial Arts, Kazan Federal University1 Ploshchad' Gagarina, Rostov-on-Don, 344000, Russian Federation; 18 Kremlevskaya St, Kazan, 420008, Russian Federation
Linar S. SabitovKazan Federal University; Kazan State Power Engineering University
ORCID iD: 0000-0001-7381-9752
Doctor of Technical Sciences, Professor of the Department of Structural Design, Kazan Federal University; Professor of the Department “Energy Supply of Enterprises, Construction of Buildings and Structures,” Kazan State Power Engineering University18 Kremlevskaya St, Kazan, 420008, Russian Federation; 51 Krasnoselskaya St, Kazan, 420066, Russian Federation
- Shu Q., Huang Z., Yuan G., Ma W., Ye S., Zhou J. Impact of wind loads on the resistance capacity of the transmission tower subjected to ground surface deformations. Thin-Walled Structures. 2018;131:619-630. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2018.07.020
- Yuan G., Yang B., Huang Z., Tan X. Experimental study on the stability of the transmission tower with hybrid slab foundation. Engineering Structures. 2018;162:151-165. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2018.01.066
- Xie Q., Zhang J. Experimental study on failure modes and retrofitting method of latticed transmission tower. Engineering Structures. 2021;226:111365. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2020.111365
- Tian L., Pan H., Ma R., Zhang L., Liu Z. Full-scale test and numerical failure analysis of a latticed steel tubular transmission tower. Engineering Structures. 2020;208:109919. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2019.109919
- Singh V.K., Gautam A.K. Study on evaluation of angle connection for transmission towers. International Conference on Advances in Structural Mechanics and Applications. Cham: Springer; 2022. p. 353-363. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-031-04793-0_27
- Axisa R., Muscat M., Sant T., Farrugia R.N. Structural assessment of a lattice tower for a small, multi-bladed wind turbine. International Journal of Energy and Environmental Engineering. 2017;8(4):343-358. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40095-017-0239-3
- Zwick D., Muskulus M., Moe G. Iterative optimization approach for the design of full-height lattice towers for offshore wind turbines. Energy Procedia. 2012;24:297-304. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2012.06.112
- Chew K.H., Tai K., Ng E.Y.K., Muskulus M. Optimization of offshore wind turbine support structures using an analytical gradient-based method. Energy Procedia. 2015;80:100-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2015.11.412
- Das A. Modelling and analysis of lattice towers for wind turbines. International Journal of Science and Research. 2015;4(4):999-1003.
- Stavridou N., Koltsakis E., Baniotopoulos C. Structural analysis and optimal design of steel lattice wind turbine towers. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers-Structures and Buildings. 2019;172(8):564-579. https://doi.org/10.1680/jstbu.18.00074
- Badertdinov I.R., Kuznetsov I.L., Sabitov L.S. Development and study of lattice trihedral supports. In: Laskov N.N. (ed.) Effective Building Structures: Theory and Practice: Collection of Articles of the XIV International Scientific and Technical Conference. Penza; 2014. p. 15-17. (In Russ.)
- Zolotukhin S.N., Kalashnikova E.Yu. Analysis of the constructive form of radio relay antenna supports. Scientific Bulletin of the Voronezh State University of Architecture and Civil Engineering: Materials of the Interregional Scientific-Practical Conference “High Technologies in Ecology.” 2011;1:34-38. (In Russ.)
- Gorokhov E.V., Vasylev V.N., Alekhin A.M., Yagmur A.A. Analysis of the constructive form of radio relay antenna supports. Metall Constructions. 2010;16(1):41-50. (In Russ.)
- Feng R.Q., Liu F.C., Xu W.J., Ma M., Liu Y. Topology optimization method of lattice structures based on a genetic algorithm. International Journal of Steel Structures. 2016;16(3):743-753.
- Jovašević S., Mohammadi M.R.S., Rebelo C., Pavlović M., Veljković M. New lattice-tubular tower for onshore WEC. Part 1. Structural optimization. Procedia Engineering. 2017;199:3236-3241.
- Fu J.Y., Wu B.G., Wu J.R., Deng T., Pi Y.L., Xie Z.N. Wind resistant size optimization of geometrically nonlinear lattice structures using a modified optimality criterion method. Engineering Structures. 2018;173:573-588.
- Badertdinov I.R., Kuznetsov I.L., Kashapov N.F., Gilmanshin I.R., Sabitov L.S. Optimal geometrical parameters of trihedral steel support’s cross section. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering. 2018;412(1):012005. https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/412/1/012005
- Chepurnenko A.S., Sabitov L.S., Yazyev B.M., Galimyanova G.R., Akhtyamova L.Sh. Trihedral lattice towers with optimal cross-sectional shape. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering. 2021;1083(1):012012. https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/1083/1/012012
- Byrd R.H., Hribar M.E., Nocedal J. An interior point algorithm for large-scale nonlinear programming. SIAM Journal on Optimization. 1999;9(4):877-900. https://doi.org/10.1137/S1052623497325107
- Kolda T.G., Lewis R.M., Torczon V. A generating set direct search augmented Lagrangian algorithm for optimization with a combination of general and linear constraints. Technical Report SAND2006-5315. Sandia National Laboratories; 2006. https://doi.org/10.2172/893121
- Serpik I.N. Optimization of reinforced concrete frames taking into account the multivariance of loading. Construction and Reconstruction. 2012;39(1):33-39. (In Russ.)
- Alekseytsev A.V., Serpik I.N. Optimization of flat farms based on genetic search and iterative triangulation procedure. Construction and Reconstruction. 2011;(2):3. (In Russ.)
- Serpik I.N., Leletko A.A., Alekseytsev A.V. Evolutionary synthesis of metal flat frames in the case of bearing capacity assessment using the limit equilibrium method. News of Higher Educational Institutions. Construction. 2007;(8): 4-9. (In Russ.)
- Akhtyamova L.Sh., Chepurnenko A.S., Rozen M.N., Al-Wali E. Trihedral lattice towers geometry optimization. E3S Web of Conferences. 2021;281:01024. https://doi.org/10.1051/e3sconf/202128101024