JUDICIAL CONTROL IN ENSURING THE LEGALITY AND VALIDITY OF DECISIONS TAKEN BY OPERATIONAL UNITS OF INTERNAL AFFAIRS BODIES
- Authors: Babichev D.A.1
- Kostroma State University
- Issue: Vol 24, No 2 (2020)
- Pages: 389-409
- Section: ADMINISTRATIVE AND FINANCIAL LAW
- URL: https://journals.rudn.ru/law/article/view/23939
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.22363/2313-2337-2020-24-2-389-409
The article examines the features of judicial control in ensuring the legality and va- lidity of decisions made by operational units of internal affairs bodies. The relevance of the work is determined by an attempt to improve the legal mechanisms for the implementation of judicial control in the above-mentioned area based on the study of judicial practice, as well as legal conflicts and gaps in the current operational search legislation. The subject of the study is the system of control powers of the court: 1) verification of the legality and validity of decisions of the operational unit to conduct certain operational search activities by granting permission to the court to conduct them; 2) checking the legality and validity of decisions of the operational unit to conduct certain operational search activities according to their urgent (emergent) conduct; 3) checking the legality and validity of decisions of the operational unit to carry out operational search activities on citizens' complaints. The purpose of this work is to study the essential characteristics of the control powers of the court in ensuring the legality and validity of decisions made by operational divisions of internal affairs bodies. The methodology of the research is based on the General scientific dialectical method of cognition and the scientific methods that follow from it: system, logical, comparative legal analysis, statistical, special legal, and others. The theoretical basis of the research rests on the scientific works of V. V. Abramochkin, V. A. Azarov, Yu. M. Groshevii, S. V. Eskov, N. S. Zheleznyak, V. I. Ivanov, Ch.M. Ismailov, N. A. Kolokolov, E. L. Nkitin, I. A. Odnoshevin, R. H. Rakhimzoda, A. I. Tambovtsev, A. N. Khalikov, I. D. Shatokhin and other authoritative scientists who have made a significant contribution to the solution of doctrinal and applied problems of judicial control in the field of operational search activity. As a result of scientific analysis of judicial practice and legal literature, the author proposes a number of legal tools that affect the court's assessment of the legality and validity of operational search decisions on conducting intrusive OSM, and identifies legal conflicts that require delicate study and technical elimination. In addition, it is argued that amendments to the provisions of the Federal Law “On Operational Search Activities” aimed at preempting precedents for recognizing evidence obtained during the OSM in cases that can’t be delayed and may lead to a serious or particularly serious crime are unacceptable. The results of the study can be used in law enforcement practice of subjects of operational search activity, judges, authorized prosecutors, as well as in scientific work when analyzing problems of judicial control in the field of operational search activity.
About the authors
Dmitriy A. BabichevKostroma State University
Author for correspondence.
candidate of legal Sciences, associate Professor, associate Professor of the Department of judicial and law enforcement activities17 Dzerzhinsky Street, 156005, Kostroma, Russian Federation
- Abramochkin, V.V. (2014) Proverka sudom zakonnosti i obosnovannosti provedeniya proslushivaniya telefonnykh peregovorov, nachatogo v usloviyakh, ne terpyashchikh otlagatel'stv [Verification by the court of the legality and validity of wiretapping of telephone conversations initiated in conditions that do not tolerate delays]. Russian Justitia. (12), 29–32. (in Russian).
- Azarov, V.A., Ivanov, V.I. (2010) Sudebnyi kontrol' kak sredstvo proverki dobrokachestvennosti rezul'tatov operativno-rozysknykh meropriyatii [Judicial control as a means of checking the quality of results of operational search activities]. Scientific Bulletin of the Omsk Academy of the MIA of Russia (Nauchnyi vestnik Omskoi akademii MVD Rossii). (4), 19– 23. (in Russian).
- Alekseev, V.S., Ovchinsky, V.S. (eds.) (2011) Kommentarii k Federal'nomu zakonu ot 12 avgusta
- g. № 144-FZ “Ob operativno-rozysknoi deyatel'nosti” (postateinyi) [Commentary to the Federal Law of August 12, 1995 No. 144-FZ On Operational Investigation Activities (itemized)]. Moscow, Prospekt Publ., available at: http://base.garant.ru/55070726/# ixzz67aj5iacE (Accessed 02 February 2020). (in Russian).
- Eskov, S.V., Cherkov, V.O., Cherkova, M.Yu. (2010) Kontrol' ta naglyad za dotrimannyam konstitutsіinikh prav і svobod lyudini v operativno-rozshukovіi dіyal'nostі [Monitoring and supervision of the observance of constitutional rights and freedoms in operational investigative activities]: Navchal'nii posіbnik. MVS Ukraїni, Lugan. derzh. un-t vnutr. sprav іm. E.O. Dіdorenka. Lugansk. (in Ukrainian).
- Groshevii, Yu.M., Eskov, S.V. (2009) Sudovii kontrol' u sferі operativno-rozshukovoї dіyal'nostі [Judicial control in the field of operational investigative activities]: Monografіya. MVS Ukraїni, Lugan. derzh. un-t vnutr. sprav іm. E.O. Dіdorenka. Lugansk. 128. (in Ukrainian).
- Halikov, A.N. (2017) Operativno-rozysknaya deyatel'nost' [Operational and investigative activities]: uchebnik. A. N. Halikov. 2-e izd. Moscow: RIOR: INFRA-M Publ. (in Russian).
- Ismailov, Ch.M. (2015) Osnovaniya i usloviya ogranicheniya konstitutsionnykh prav grazhdan v ORD i ikh sootnoshenie s ugolovno-protsessual'nymi: problemy i perspektivy (primenitel'no k rozysku ischeznuvshikh lits) [Grounds and conditions for restricting the constitutional rights of citizens in the ORD and their relation to criminal procedure: problems and prospects (in relation to the search for disappeared persons)]. Russian Investigator. (17), 41–45. (in Russian).
- Ivanov, S.V. (2016) Zakonodatel'stvo ob operativno-rozysknoj deyatel'nosti otstaet ot zhizni [Legislation on operational investigative activities is behind the times]. Criminal proceeding. (3), 24–33. (in Russian).
- Zheleznyak, N.S. (2009) O problemah zakonodatel'nogo regulirovaniya sudebnogo ogranicheniya konstitucionnyh prav grazhdan v operativno-rozysknoj deyatel'nosti [About problems of legislative regulation of judicial restriction of constitutional rights of citizens in operational search activity]. The Field Investigator (Sleuth) Journal. (1), 17–23. (in Russian).
- Kolokolov, N.A. (2009) Statutnyi kontrol' na strazhe chastnoi zhizni: st. 165 UPK RF [Statutory control over private life: article 165 of the code of criminal procedure of the Russian Federation]. Criminal Judicial Proceeding. (1), 2–5. (in Russian).
- Nikitin, E.L. (2007) Sudebnyi kontrol' za zakonnost'yu provedeniya operativno-rozysknykh meropriyatii (real'nost' i perspektivy) [Judicial control over the legality of operational search activities (reality and prospects)]. Yuridicheskaya mysl' [Legal thought]. (2), 80–89. (in Russian).
- Odnoshevin, I.A. (2018) Judicial control-guarantee of the constitutional rights of citizens, involved in the sphere of operative search activity. Yurist-Pravoved [Jurist-Jurist]. (4), 187–192. (in Russian).
- Ovchinsky, V.S. (ed.) (2019) Kommentarii k Federal'nomu zakonu “Ob operativno-rozysknoi deyatel'nosti”. S prilozheniem reshenii Konstitutsionnogo Suda Rossiiskoi Federatsii i obzorov praktiki Evropeiskogo Suda po pravam cheloveka [Commentary on the Federal Law “On the operational-search activity.” With the application of the decisions of the Constitutional Court of the Russian Federation and reviews of the practice of the European Court of Human Rights]. vstupitel'naya stat'ya V. D. Zor'kina. 3-e izd., dop. i pererab. [introductory article by V. D. Zorkin. 3rd ed., Ext. and reslave]. Moscow, Norma: INFRA-M Publ. (in Russian).
- Rahimzoda, R.Kh. (2015) Departmental and judicial control over the implementation of operational-search policy in the Republic of Tajikistan. The world of politics and sociology. (12), 93–102. (in Russian).
- Shatokhin, I.D. (2016) Typical reasons for complaints to the Constitutional Court on the rules of the Federal Law “On operative search activity”. The Field Investigator (Sleuth) Journal. (2), 36–40. (in Russian).
- Tambovtsev, A.I. (2016) Rehabilitation in crime detection: analysis of some provisions of Article 5 of the Federal Law “On Crime Detection”. Scientific Bulletin of the Omsk Academy of the MIA of Russia. (1), 17–22. (in Russian).