COMMUNICATION BARRIERS IN JURY TRIALS AND ORGANIZATIONAL AND LEGAL WAYS TO OVERCOME THEM
- Authors: Bushtets N.V.1
- National Research University “Higher school of Economics”
- Issue: Vol 24, No 4 (2020)
- Pages: 1169-1186
- Section: PROCEDURAL LAW
- URL: https://journals.rudn.ru/law/article/view/25258
- DOI: https://doi.org/10.22363/2313-2337-2020-24-4-1169-1186
The use of the Institute of jurors in Russia has been expanded since June 1, 2018. Today, courts with the participation of jurors consider criminal cases in regional courts and equivalent ones, as well as in district courts. At the same time, legislative innovations also affected the number of citizens who are members of the jury. These changes dictate the need for a scientific understanding of what happened, including the development of proposals aimed at optimizing the work of courts, representatives of the state prosecution and defense with a jury. In this regard, the purpose of the study is to improve the organization of criminal proceedings carried out by a court with the participation of jurors, taking into account the psychological characteristics of the judge, the public Prosecutor, the defense lawyer and the jury. In the course of the work, the author considers the results of psychological and legal research, which in one way or another affects the communicative features of participants in criminal proceedings. The paper makes the following main conclusions: a) to establish in the normative legal acts of the Judicial Department the main requirements for the list of property and technical means that provide comfortable conditions for jurors during the trial; b) to conduct systematic work with the staff of judges and employees of the court interacting with jurors in accordance with the recommendations given in the article; c) provide judges and employees of the court with methodological guidance concerning communication with a jury on work issues.
About the authors
Nikita V. BushtetsNational Research University “Higher school of Economics”
Author for correspondence.
postgraduate student, Department of Judiciary; assistant of the Legal Expertise Division of the Legal Department of the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation20 Myasnitskaya str., Moscow, 101000, Russian Federation
- Abakumova, I.V., Mel'nichenko, D.V. (2011) Cennostno-smyslovye bar'ery v uchebnom processe: vidy i tekhnologii preodoleniya. Metodicheskie ukazaniya [Value-semantic barriers in the educational process: types and technologies of overcoming. Methodical instructions]. Moscow, KREDO Publ. (in Russian).
- Bozrov, V.M. (ed.) (2017) Aktual'nye problemy deyatel'nosti sudov obshchei yurisdikcii Rossiiskoi Federacii: uchebnik [Actual problems of the activities of courts of general jurisdiction of the Russian Federation: textbook], kollektiv avtorov [group of authors]; Bozrov V.M. (ed.). Moscow, YUSTICIYA Publ. (in Russian).
- Brizhak, Z.I. (2003) Psihologicheskie problemy suda prisyazhnyh [Psychological problems of the jury trial]. Yearbook of the RPO: Proceedings of the III RPO, June 23–25, 2003, T. 1.Saint-Petersburg, Petersburg University Publ., pp. 424–427. (in Russian).
- Botokanov, A.I., Sarymsakov, A.A., Esenalieva, V.A. (2015) The importance of memory in learning. Izvestiya vuzov (Kyrgyzstan). (3), 141–144. (in Russian).
- Gudkov, L., Dubin, B., Zorkaya, N. (2010) Russian Judicial Reform in Society Opinions. The Russian Public Opinion Herald. 4 (106). 7–43. (in Russian).
- Gulevich, O.A. (2011) Psihologiya v sude prisyazhnyh: uchebnoe posobie [Psychology in a jury: a textbook]. Pskov, American Bar Association Publ. (in Russian).
- Gulevich, O.A., Sarieva, I.R. (2015) Social'naya psihologiya. Uchebnik i praktikum dlya akademicheskogo bakalavriata [Social Psychology. Academic Baccalaureate Textbook and Workshop]. Moscow, Yurayt Publ. (in Russian).
- Demichev, A.A., Ilyukhina, V.A. (2020) Woman before the jury court in the Russian em-pire (revisiting the gender equality principle). RUDN Journal of Law. 24 (1), 98–112. doi: 10.22363/2313-2337-2020-24-1-98-112. (in Russian).
- Karnozova, L.M. (2010) Prisyazhnye o sude prisyazhnykh [Jury on jury trial]. Sud prisyazhnykh v Rossii: sovershenstvovanie protsedur i rasshirenie yurisdiktsii [Jury trial in Russia: improving procedures and expanding jurisdiction]. Compiled by L.V. Nikitinsky. Moskva, Fond «Liberal'naya missiya» Publ. (in Russian).
- Komorida, A. (2012) Sud s uchastiem sudebnykh zasedatelei: novaya sistema uchastiya grazhdan v otpravlenii pravosudiya v Yaponii [Judicial trial: a new system of citizen participation in the administration of justice in Japan]. Criminal Judicial Proceeding. (3), 396–409. (in Russian).
- Masharova, T.V. (1997) Pedagogicheskie teorii, sistemy i tekhnologii obucheniya: Uchebnoe posobie [Pedagogical theories, systems and teaching technologies: a textbook]. Kirov, VGPU Publ. (in Russian).
- Osipova, A.A., Dyatlova, L.A., Ryadinskaya, E.N., Luk'yanenko, M.A. (2018) Psychological and pedagogical technologies for overcoming meaning barriers in the learning process. Rossiiskii psikhologicheskii zhurnal — Russian Psychological Journal. 15(2), 260–278. doi: 10.21702/rpj.2018.2.11. (in Russian).
- Pashin, S.A. (2009) Predlozheniya po sovershenstvovaniyu suda prisyazhnykh v Rossii [Proposals for improving the jury in Russia]. In the book: Analytical review of the results of the AllRussian monitoring on the problems of judicial reform in the Russian Federation. Moscow, R. Valent Publ. (in Russian).
- Petruhin, I.L. (ed.) (2003) Sudebnaya vlast' [Judicial branch]. Moscow, TK Velbi Publ. (in Russian).
- Petruhin, I.L. (2009) Opravdatel'nyi prigovor i pravo na reabilitatsiyu: Monografiya [Not guilty and the right to rehabilitation: Monograph]. Moscow, Prospekt Publ. (in Russian).
- Sheinov, V.P. (2017) NLP v ubezhdenii i manipulirovanii [NLP in persuasion and manipulation]. Moscow, AST Publ. (in Russian).
- Ukhova, L.V. (2012) Effektivnost' reklamnogo teksta: monografiya [The effectiveness of the advertising text: monograph]; Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation, Federal State Budgetary Educational Institution of Higher Professional Education “Yaroslavl State Pedagogical University named after K.D. Ushinsky”. Yaroslavl: YAGPU Publ. (in Russian).
- Yurishina, E.A. (2020) Sud prisyazhnykh v Ispanii: istoricheskaya retrospektiva, predposylki vozrozhdeniya i nekotorye otlichitel'nye osobennosti [Jury trial in Spain: historical review, revival of institute and some distinctive features]. Voprosy rossiiskogo i mezhdunarodnogo prava [Matters of Russian and International Law]. 10 (3А), 87–98. doi: 10.34670/AR.2020.93.3.016. (in Russian).